Sunday, January 27, 2013


    Blog post 2 of my Sunday afternoon; I figured since I’m listening to some Nat King Cole and Sublime (I know it’s a weird musical combo, don’t judge) and my family is taking a siesta I might as well take advantage of some down time to catch up on blog posts.  Today I’m going to talk about my experience making an authentic Paella Valenciana! Last weekend my uncle Roberto showed me how to make paella, and this weekend he said it was my turn to take up the apron of apprenticeship.  Today I made paella de mariscos (seafood), instead of the chicken and beef paella de made last weekend. Roberto has taught me all these amazing tricks to making paella, which I have written down in my journal so as never to forget (in case I get Alzheimer's I want to make sure my future family will always be able to eat paella).
    I was very nervous to do it by myself, but with my incredible instructor looking over my shoulder I was at ease.  He said the secret is patience and of course to put lots of love into your cooking. We made all the preliminary preparations a couple of hours in advance because Spaniards like to go out on the weekends in the middle of the afternoon to take a walk, drink a beer, talk and eat some tapas…I LOVE this culture! We had some great conversation, talking about everything from the economic crisis, their favorite cities in Spain, to stories of the earlier lives. I am getting very involved in conversing, you really have to be aggressive and use lots of hand gestures to express yourself properly here, otherwise people will just keep talking and you can't get a word in edge wise.  They said I am starting to seem española to them instead of American…it was the best compliment ever!
    When we came back to the house I finished making la paella and some eur dourves: steamed muscles and clams with onions, white wine, and olive oil (they don’t really have butter here).  I was sharing my seafood cooking experience that I have learned from my Uncles Kyle and Neil on Lopez Island summer after summer, and bringing it to Spain: cross-cultural experience at its finest.
     Since today the weather was gorgeous, sunshine and a light breeze in mid 60 degree temperatures, we ate out on the terrace.  I cannot claim credit for the quality of la paella because Roberto taught me everything, but I have to say that it was simply delicious. As I write this I must say I am SOOO full...I cannot move.  If I liked taking siestas I would most certainly be joining my family, but since I don’t like napping I get to write instead.
   I end this post by saying this: I have rekindled my love for this country, I feel completely part of the family, and I can remember now why it was so hard to leave Spain last time: Spanish people, food, and culture are magnificent.

P.S
…I’m SOO excited to bring back my paella making skills to the USA and share the incredible dish with you all!  
Besos for everyone! 
- Tonada 

 Las almejas (clams)


 Awww cutest couple in Alicante!!!

 Me and Uncle Roberto with the Paella


No comments:

Post a Comment