Sunday, January 6, 2013

Los Reyes Magos

In Spain the Christmas festivities continue well after the 25th. Today was el dia de los Reyes Magos, the Three Kings, who bring presents to children in the night, much like Santa Claus. Last night we left candies and water for the Kings and lettuce for their camels. This morning we all opened presents, I got a beautiful scarf and my host dad got a bundle of sweaters. My host family is too generous. Spain is getting hit really hard with the economic crisis, tons of unemployment, and to show generosity and a welcoming heart to a complete stranger is just incredible; very moving. I understand now the importance of welcoming change in your life, of laughing and smiling at moments of happiness even in the hard times, and of opening your heart and your mind to new experiences and to new people. I hope that I am able to reciprocate the kindness they have showed me. 

Paula with one of her many cool presents.

Cesar got some new sweaters! La familia! 

Awwwww

El Roscon! A traditional pastry for breakfast during Reyes.

The view from the living room


No comments:

Post a Comment